header

Author Topic: General Question . . .  (Read 5535 times)

Sound Creation Rob

• View Profile
General Question . . .
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »
Can anyone tell me when Paiste first began manufacturing Planet gongs, and Sound Creation gongs? I'm going to do a clinic / concert at my music shop in August and I'd like to get some historical background.

Thanks for the help!

Rob
"All humans are sacred, whatever their culture, race, or religion, whatever their capacities or incapacities, and whatever their weaknesses or strengths may be. Each of us has an instrument to bring to the vast orchestra of humanity." - Jean Vanier

paiste

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: General Question . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:36 am »
Hi Rob, with the Planet Gongs we start in the early 90s. 1992/93 and with the SCGs in the early 80s 1981/82.

Michael Bettine

• Bang A Gong, Get It On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:40 am »
I actually have Paiste brochures from 1978 introducing the "Proto Gong" series, and from 1979 with them renamed "Sound Creation" Gong series…

GONGTOPIA
PERCUSSION DECONSTRUCTION BLOG
Ancient Sounds For Modern Times

bluejacketsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »
Good info here! I saw in the one brochure something called "Flat Gong Play". Any more info known about those? When started/discontinued? B8, I assume?

Oh, and any idea what year the Symphonic and Accent Gongs started? I think the Brilliant SG's started in 2011.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:55:57 pm by bluejacketsfan »

Michael Bettine

• Bang A Gong, Get It On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:13 am »
The Flat Gong Play was made from NS12, like the other Paiste Gongs. It was originally made as a 1-octive set in the late 1970s, then later also offered as a 1-1/2 octave set in the early 1980s. It was a catalog item until about 1990/91. Famous users of the set were Pierre Moerlen of the French band, Gong, Italian percussionist Andrea Centazzo, Swiss percussionist Pierre Favre, and Terry Bozzio, who has a black Colorsound set. You can often see his set in Drum Channel jams.

GONGTOPIA
PERCUSSION DECONSTRUCTION BLOG
Ancient Sounds For Modern Times

Sound Creation Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:45:24 pm »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for all the info! The brochures reminded me of the back of the "Percussion Profiles" LP which I recall you mentioned in an interview. 

Thank you for the help!

Rob
"All humans are sacred, whatever their culture, race, or religion, whatever their capacities or incapacities, and whatever their weaknesses or strengths may be. Each of us has an instrument to bring to the vast orchestra of humanity." - Jean Vanier

Phil McNamara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:46:42 pm »
My source for the introduction of the 'Proto' gongs also stated 1978. I'm not quite sure when the Symphonics were introduced. In my book, I claim that the version we see today was around in the 1950's but there is a photo in James Blades book on percussion showing Paiste gong makers working on a symphonic and their attire would seem to indicate an earlier date.