header

Author Topic: What sound creation gongs do you own?  (Read 9167 times)

Sound Creation Rob

• View Profile
What sound creation gongs do you own?
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:52 am »
Hi Friends,

I'd be interested in what Sound Creation gongs people own. Possibly any impressions you have - do you have a favorite? Anyways, here's my list:

SC#2 20" "Fire" (a really beautiful quiet gong - I was always intrigued by the design of this one!)
SC#3 26" "Earth" (the darkest sounding "earth" I've got. This one has really aged beautifully)
SC#3A 32" "Earth" (I love the contrast this gong gives to my planet gongs)
SC#4 24" "Water" (visually beautiful, I don't use it a lot. It does pair nicely with my 26" Neptune")
SC#6 24" "Moon" (I get lots of comments on this gong after performances. One of my favorites)
SC#7 22" "Fight" (I don't use this very often, but I do love the design. A very primal sound!)
SC#8, 9, & 10 (I'm learning to use these more. I particularly like #9 "Chest". I use this with my "Chiron" a bit. I'm still exploring techniques for getting optimum sound out of these!)

All the best!

Rob

PS: I'm very curious about the SC#1 "Sun" gong - how does it sound?
"All humans are sacred, whatever their culture, race, or religion, whatever their capacities or incapacities, and whatever their weaknesses or strengths may be. Each of us has an instrument to bring to the vast orchestra of humanity." - Jean Vanier

Hochi

• View Profile
Re: What sound creation gongs do you own?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »
Hi Rob,

Unfortunately I don't own any SC gongs as I'm relatively new to the world of Paiste Gongs, but I made a little www research over the past months and (referring to your question about the SC No. 1) I came upon this:

https://soundcloud.com/jenssso/hesunshemoon

Greets,
Christian

Sound Creation Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »
Thanks for the link, Christian!

All the best,

Rob
"All humans are sacred, whatever their culture, race, or religion, whatever their capacities or incapacities, and whatever their weaknesses or strengths may be. Each of us has an instrument to bring to the vast orchestra of humanity." - Jean Vanier

Paul Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:52 pm »
Earth 32"
Earth 26"
Sun 22"
Fight 22"
Peace 22"
Fire 20"

Kind regards.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:14:02 am by Paul Ford »

Michael Bettine

• Bang A Gong, Get It On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:45:26 am »
SC#3 32" Earth
SC#4 24" Water
Prototype 26" Sky/Air
GONGTOPIA
PERCUSSION DECONSTRUCTION BLOG
Ancient Sounds For Modern Times

Phil McNamara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »
SC#1 Sun
SC#2 Fire
SC#4 Water
SC#6 Moon
SC#7 Fight/Confrontation

I had SC#5 Peace but this was too much like a regular Chao gong. I love the 'Moon' gong - one long penetrating tone and no crash. Fight/Confrontation is great but easy to overplay. Still to add one or more of the SC#3 Earth gongs. Not too impressed with the Chakra gongs - I prefer the Paiste Tuned Gongs.

I'm intruiged with the Prototype 'Air' gong, Michael. Any further information?

Michael Bettine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:07:33 am »
I'm intruiged with the Prototype 'Air' gong, Michael. Any further information?

GONG OF THE WEEK: An extremely rare Gong. This is a prototype Paiste Sound Creation Gong. It's a 26" Sky/Air Gong. It started out as possibly an Earth Gong (it has the 3-point mounting holes with rubber grommets like the Earth Gongs), but was re-hammered multiple times. The result is a much more sensitive Gong with a higher overall pitch than the Earth. It's a lot like a Wind Gong. I have to be careful with it because it is so responsive.

The story behind this, is that I asked a friend in Paiste Sound Development, who is also a fellow sound freak, if they had any “weird stuff” hidden in the corners of the factory/warehouse. He looked around and came up with this. I’m very thankful to have gotten it.

Extensive overhammering

Hammering on top of logo on the back, with hand painting to redo the logo.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:10:17 am by Michael Bettine »
GONGTOPIA

Phil McNamara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing this with us, Michael. Do you know which of the Paiste gong makerswas involved with its development?

Michael Bettine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:14 am »
Thanks for sharing this with us, Michael. Do you know which of the Paiste gong makerswas involved with its development?

No, not really. There's no serial # and I don't know it's exact age. I've had it for maybe 6 years, but I don't know how long it was sitting at the Swiss HQ/warehouse before it made its way over to me.
GONGTOPIA

Jamie Bechtold Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:20 am »
That's awesome! I'd love to come across some "weird stuff" hidden in the paiste gong factory! :-)

Phil McNamara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »
Not much chance of that, I'm sorry to say. Most of the stuff was discovered on visits to the German factory in 2010, 2011 and 2012 by a group of people that also include other members of this Forum and the UK Gong Forum.

However, I can't say the same for the Swiss factory and their 'archive' in the basement...

Paul Ford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:49:38 am »
Hmmm, maybe i need to include Switzerland in my European 'Gongventure' next year!  ;D

Kind regards.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:47:26 pm »
Up until last night I ddin't own any SC gongs, but my offer was accepted on an already resonably priced SC #7 Fight/Confrontation gong on eBay that was being sold by it's original owner and looked to be in great shape (comes with a stand and case too). Hopefully it will arrive by middle of next week just in time for a couple of gong gigs coming up at the end of the month.

A 32" SC #3 Earth is next on my list.